A division of Appleton Christian School
MOST RECENT NEWSLETTER: March2013
Appleton Christian School takes the education of your child very seriously. We recognize that reading and writing are the cornerstones of education and are a life skill that must be mastered for any student to be successful. That is why we proactively screen all students to ensure they are able to read and write at grade level.
Who We Are
Dyslexia is the most common reason that an otherwise bright child will have trouble with reading and spelling. Though there is no cure for dyslexia, research has shown that 95% of poor readers can be brought up to grade level if they receive the right intervention early. To that end, ACS, under the direction of Nancy Menn, began Dyslexia Reading Connection® (DRC) as a project in 2004 to see if it would help struggling students. It proved to be so effective that DRC is now the largest provider of tutoring and screening services for students with dyslexia in Northeast Wisconsin. We have the knowledge, experience, and flexibility to choose the best method of instruction so that your student can attain grade level reading and spelling with confidence and enjoyment.
How DRC Can Help Your Child
- Trained tutors work with students in the DRC program on a one-on-one basis.
- Tutoring is done using the Barton Reading and Spelling System, an Orton-Gillingham based method. The Barton System has the essential components required by the No Child Left Behind Act and meets the National Institute of Health’s description of best practices for students with dyslexia.
- Year round tutoring (students may start anytime of the year).
- Students enrolled at ACS and in the DRC program receive classroom accommodations so they can learn their other subjects without limitations.
- Limited math tutoring is also available.
- Light Sensitivity Screening (Irlen Syndrome)
For More Information
Please visit our Dyslexia Reading Connection website for more information about dyslexia and DRC.
Contact Amber Creamer (Dyslexia Consultant and DRC Liaison at ACS) at [email protected] for information about fees and other information about DRC at ACS.
SUPPORT DYSLEXIA READING CONNECTION
Appleton Christian School & Dyslexia Reading Connection are participating in an exciting new fundraising program. We now have our own website featuring thousands of partner stores like Walmart, Sears, Best Buy and many more. When you make a purchase through the link provided (click logo) Appleton Christian School & Dyslexia Reading Connection receive and share royalties and you earn up to 35% cash back on qualified purchases. The benefits don’t stop there. You earn 0.5% cash back on the purchases of everyone you refer to our website. Now you can take advantage of the ease and convenience of Internet shopping to buy the products and services you want, while feeling good about helping one of your favorite organizations. To get started, click the logo on the left.